Hattiesburg Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycles provide a healthy, eco-friendly way to get around. However, bicyclists are completely unprotected and vulnerable to serious injuries in a collision with a motor vehicle.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, contact The Penton Law Group, PLLC as soon as possible. Our Hattiesburg bicycle accident lawyers can help you pursue a claim for compensation against the at-fault party.
Why Choose Us?
- At The Penton Law Group, PLLC, we focus solely on personal injury – It is all we do.
- Our attorneys have over a decade of experience representing injured people.
- We limit our caseload to ensure that every client gets the attention they deserve.
- We are available 24/7 for questions or concerns, and we respond to calls, texts and emails promptly.
Why You Need a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle accident cases can be difficult because of the complex challenges presented in trying to prove liability. It is in your best interest to have an experienced personal injury attorney representing you when seeking compensation. It is particularly important to speak with a lawyer before speaking with an insurance adjuster. Our experienced bike accident attorneys can fully assess your losses and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf for the compensation you deserve.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that there were 840 bicyclist traffic fatalities in a recently-reported year.
- This represents a 1.3% increase over the previous year.
- Bicyclist deaths accounted for 2.2% of all traffic fatalities nationwide.
- 71% of bicyclist fatalities occurred in urban areas and 29% occurred in rural areas.
- 45,000 bicyclists were injured in the most recent year for which injury statistics are available.
- 20% of fatal bicycle accidents on weekdays and 26% on weekends occurred between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:59 p.m.
- In 78% of fatal crashes, bicyclists were struck by the front of a vehicle.
- 5 bicyclist fatalities occurred in Mississippi in a recent year, accounting for 0.7% of all traffic fatalities statewide.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
As stated by the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, nearly one-third of all bicyclist injuries occur when bicycles are struck by cars. The six most frequent sources of bicyclist injury are reported to be:
- Being hit by a car (29%)
- Falling (17%)
- Roadway or walkway not in good repair (13%)
- Rider error and/or not paying attention (13%)
- Crash or collision (7%)
- Dog running out in front of the bike (4%)
Dangerous Driving Behavior that Causes Bicycle Accidents
Negligent drivers can cause serious or fatal injuries to bicyclists. Examples include:
- A driver traveling in the opposite direction makes a left-hand turn at an intersection, directly into the path of the oncoming bicycle, causing the bike to collide with the vehicle or knocking the cyclist down.
- Driver passes a bicyclist much too closely, striking the cyclist with the side mirror or forcing them off the road.
- A driver parked on the side of the street opens a car door, blocking the path of a bicyclist and causing a crash.
Contact Us Today
If you have been hurt in a bicycle accident caused by the negligence of another, our Hattiesburg injury lawyers at The Penton Law Group, PLLC can help. Call us today to schedule a consultation. We operate on a contingency-fee basis, which means you pay us nothing until we recover compensation for you.