Injured on the bus?Schedule A Free Consultation
Jackson Bus Accident Lawyer
Bus accidents can result in serious injuries and often involve injuries to numerous people. If you have been hurt in a bus accident caused by negligence, you may have a claim for compensation. Contact The Penton Law Group, PLLC to schedule a free consultation. Our Jackson bus accident attorneys can assist you with a claim for compensation in Mississippi.
Why Choose The Penton Law Group in Jackson, MS?
- At The Penton Law Group, PLLC we focus solely on personal injury law – It is all we do.
- Our Jackson bus accident attorneys have over a decade of legal experience representing people who have suffered serious injuries.
- We limit our caseload to ensure that each of our clients get the attention they deserve.
- We put our clients first, going above and beyond to ensure their legal needs are met.
- Free Consultations and Free Case Evaluations – Call (601) 500-5357
Why You Need a Jackson Bus Accident Lawyer
Bus accidents are complicated, high-stakes cases involving multiple potentially liable parties, as well as complex medical and legal issues. Many buses are owned or operated by government entities which complicates the process of filing a claim for damages. If you have been hurt in a bus accident, our experienced bus accident lawyers have the knowledge, skill and resources needed to effectively pursue the compensation you deserve.
Bus Accident Statistics
As reported by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA):
- 227 buses were involved in fatal crashes in the U.S. in a recent year.
- 40 of those fatalities were occupants of buses.
- 86 fatal crashes involved school buses; 16 involved intercity buses; and 93 involved transit buses.
- 16,000 buses were involved in crashes in a recent year resulting in the injury of 35,000 people.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Like car accidents, bus accidents share common causes, including:
- Fatigued driving
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Inadequately screened or improperly trained drivers
- Defective or improperly maintained buses and equipment
- Vehicle structure and lack of passenger protection
- Urban congestion and lack of room to maneuver
- Construction and hazardous road conditions
Buses Have a Higher Duty of Care
Like subways, trains, taxis and commercial airlines, buses are common carriers – a legal term for vehicles used to transport people from one place to another for a fee. Common carriers owe a higher duty of care to provide safe transport for their passengers. In addition to driving responsibly and obeying traffic laws, bus companies and their drivers are required to take preventative measures to protect their passengers in an emergency.
Common Bus Accident Injuries
Injuries sustained in bus accidents can range in severity from minor soft tissue injuries to fractures and traumatic brain injury. Because of their design, buses have a higher risk of rollover than standard passenger vehicles. As most buses do not feature seat belts or airbags, the risk of serious injury is greater when a collision occurs.
What Damages Can I Claim After a Bus Accident Claim in Jackson?
If a local or state government agency is the party responsible for your accident and injuries, there are limits on how much you can recover. However, if you are filing a personal injury claim against a private bus company, you may be entitled to recover compensation for economic and noneconomic losses, including:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Contact a Jackson Bus Accident Lawyer | The Penton Law Group
If you were injured in a bus accident in Mississippi, call The Penton Law Group, PLLC at (601) 500-5357. Our Jackson personal injury lawyers in Mississippi operate on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay no fees until we recover compensation for you.