Lost a Loved One In An Accident?Schedule A Free Consultation
Jackson Wrongful Death Lawyer
If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, you have legal recourse through a wrongful death claim. This type of civil action is a means to seek justice for your loved one and compensation for your family’s future. Call a Jackson wrongful death attorney from The Penton Law Group, PLLC to learn more about your options under the law.
Why Choose Penton Law Group?
- We focus solely on personal injury law – It is all we do.
- We are available 24/7 for questions or concerns, and we respond to calls, texts and emails promptly.
- We limit our caseload to ensure that each of our clients get the attention they deserve.
- We put our clients first, going above and beyond to ensure their legal needs are met.
Why You Need a Jackson Wrongful Death Lawyer
Our experienced Jackson wrongful death attorneys are well-versed in personal injury matters. We can offer sound legal guidance, address your questions and concerns and handle your wrongful death claim while you are grieving the loss of your loved one.
What Is Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Wrongful death is a special type of personal injury lawsuit, filed by surviving family members, on behalf of their deceased loved one. The term wrongful death is used when the acts of a negligent person or company result in the death of someone. The following are required in order to bring a wrongful death claim:
- The death of a person
- Caused by the negligence of another, or with intent to harm
- Surviving family members who have suffered monetary injury because of the death
- Appointment of a Personal Representative of the estate of the deceased
Common Types of Wrongful Death Lawsuits
A death is “wrongful” if it was caused by the negligence or wrongdoing of another person or entity. For example, wrongful death may result from:
- Motor vehicle accidents – These types of wrongful death cases are one of the most common lawsuits filed against drivers who were negligent and it ended in a fatality. If you want to learn more about filing a claim after a crash, our Jackson car accident lawyer page goes into detail on how The Penton Law Group can help.
- Trucking accidents – Big semi-trucks and 18-wheelers can have devastating results if the crash involves a smaller vehicle. If you or a loved one was involved in an accident with a truck, contact our Jackson truck accident lawyers, we offer free consultations and can help you with your legal options.
- Medical malpractice – These type of cases can be complicated because of what you must prove in order to hold a medical facility accountable for a wrongful death. The Penton Law Group’s Jackson medical malpractice attorneys have the expertise to help you navigate through a lawsuit. Other medical malpractice wrongful death claims include;
- Dangerous drugs and medical devices
- Defective products
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Construction accidents- If you lost a loved one while at work or on a construction site, read more about your legal options on our construction accident lawyers page.
- Slip and fall accidents – This can happen anywhere and at any time. Depending on where your loved one had this accident, the details regarding who is liable for the untimely death of a loved one can vary. For example, Stores can be held liable if their negligence caused a fatal slip and fall. To learn more about the different types of claims, visit our Jackson slip and fall accident attorneys page.
Who Is Entitled to Compensation for Wrongful Death in Mississippi?
Under state law (Mississippi Code Section 11-7-13):
- Damages for the injury and death of a married man shall be equally distributed to his wife and children; or, if he has no children, all goes to his wife.
- Damages for death of a married woman shall be equally distributed to her husband and children; or if she has no children, all goes to her husband.
- If the deceased has no husband or wife, damages are equally distributed among the children.
- If the deceased has no husband, wife or children, damages are equally distributed among the surviving father, mother, brothers and sisters of the deceased.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Mississippi?
Only certain individuals with a relationship to the deceased may file a wrongful death claim:
- Surviving spouse
- Surviving parent or child
- Surviving siblings
- Personal representative of the estate of the deceased
Damages in a Wrongful Death Claim
A wrongful death claim for damages is a legal remedy used to hold negligent persons or entities accountable for the harm they have caused. Damages in a wrongful death case may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Medical expenses associated with the last injury or illness of the deceased
- Lost wages and benefits the deceased would have earned or provided
- Loss of companionship and support
- Pain and suffering of the deceased’s loved ones
Contact our Jackson Wrongful Death Attorney | Available 24/7
Contact The Penton Law Group, PLLC as soon as possible if your loved one’s death was caused by the negligence of another. We can help you seek justice for your loved one through a wrongful death claim. Our experienced Jackson personal injury lawyers can help you get the justice you deserve. We are available 24/7 and offer free consultations. Call us today or fill out a contact form.
“Thank you for communicating so well.”